Thursday, November 21, 2013

Who's Who: Virginia Join the Health On Point Family!

Hello!  My name is Virginia Dreier and I am a licensed massage therapist at Health on Point. I graduated from East-West School of Integrated Healing Arts this past summer in North Liberty specializing in Swedish and blended Swedish-Shiatsu style massage.  Although I grew up in Iowa City, I left for 6 years during which I attended Oberlin College and travelled as an outdoor educator.  As a teacher I learned many lessons: about compassion, empathy, patience, and care.  I still work as a teacher at Willowwind School in the Montessori preschool-continuing to learn these lessons.  
I chose massage therapy because I wanted to live a life of balance and peace. I wanted to be healthy and less worried.  I wanted to improve my quality of life.  I feel very grateful to walk a new path as a healer.  I offer to each client the same desires for optimal health and well-being. 
Massage therapy, the practice of using touch to heal, is an ancient healing art and is found throughout the world in many different forms.  Swedish massage refers to the use of oil or lotion on the skin to provide smooth strokes, compression, and percussion focused on muscle relaxation and circulation.  Swedish massage is perhaps the most commonly known form of massage in the US because of its use at spas for gentle relaxation.  Shiatsu originates from Japan and uses the meridian energy system (used in Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture) to guide and focus treatments.  It is performed using point pressure on certain parts of the body on top of the clothes and also involves passive stretches.  Traditionally performed on the floor, I use a blended style that uses the massage table instead, appropriate Swedish strokes, and promotes balance of the energy meridians.  It is a very relaxing experience. 
Massage can strengthen your immune system, lower blood pressure, reduce headaches, and improve your mood.  Massage is finally being studied, accepted and promoted by health officials and is now commonly used as complementary and alternative medicine.  It is increasingly being offered along with treatment for a wide array of medical problems such as anxiety, insomnia related to stress, migraines, sports injuries and of course muscular ‘knots’.  
Massage is not simply a source of relaxation it is a powerful tool for treating dis-ease and promoting a life of healing and health.  My clients choose me because I have a deeply caring, intuitive touch and confident presence that builds trust; allowing them to relax and start healing themselves immediately. Please check out my Facebook page for more information about me and my practice, Renew Massage, or if you have any questions at all please email me.   I am very grateful for and look forward to becoming a part of the Health on Point community and working towards healing for us all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010
319-331-9312 | info@healthonpoint.com